Monday, September 7, 2009

A Harry Potter Obsession?... Noooo....

I must admit, I have become quite intrigued by the Harry Potter series. Finally, I see what all the hype is about! They are all good but I must say, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has been the best so far. First of all, the pace is much faster. Sometimes it even seemed a little too fast to get everything and I am guessing the book gives a lot more detail. It was a little odd to see the kids having changed so much between the second and third movies, but I guess there was a 2 year gap in between.
I see the trend now that the Professor of the Dark Arts changes each time. Guess I will expect that trend throughout the rest of the series. Maybe they should just give the job to Snape. He seems to want it pretty badly and he likes to stick around! I really liked the professor who had the role this time though. You could tell he was a good guy from the beginning and trying to help Harry. So sad he was a werewolf and had to leave...
There were a couple of things I found really odd about the movie though. First when they finally come in contact with Sirius Black, he seems like a deranged maniac that is going to kill Harry. Quickly we find, he is really after Scabbers the rat who really is Peter Pettigrew. He was shaking and acting erratic however a few minutes later when they are back outside the whomping willow, he seems like a normal guy and wanting Harry to come live with him. The switch was just really odd for me. Even the way he carries himself seems to change far too quickly. If you have been in prison for 12 years, you don't just get over it in 5 minutes.
The second thing I though was odd is that when Harry and Hermione go back in time to save both Harry and the crazy bird/horse thing, they don't also capture the rat! Why not? They changed other things. Why not be hiding with a cage where the rat ran off to and grab him! Given this fact, I don't think we have seen the last of Peter Pettigrew.
Although the movie was action packed, I think my favorite scene was when Harry filled his aunt with hot air and she flew away. So glad he got to get away with that one!
So, I have a confession to make about my Harry Potter goal. I know that I said I had no desire to read the books, however when I was in North Carolina last week, Becca lent me the first three. I actually read the first one in one day when we were traveling back to Omaha. I am almost done with the second one. I really like the books and they seem to give a lot more detail and depth to the story. I am thinking before I watch the 4th movie, I might read the book first. I might also watch the 2nd and 3rd movies again after I read the books. I know, I am becoming obsessed...

4 comments:

  1. hi, stopping by from SITS.

    love your goals on the sidebar! I have never gotten into Harry Potter but I know tons of people who love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh I love the Harry Potter Series - have read all the books and seen all the movies to date! Can't wait till my 4 year old is old enough for me to start reading them before bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Visiting again from SITS Roll Call.

    I was a fan of Harry Potter before it ever came to the States. When I brought the book to work to read on break, everybody was curious about it! Who would have thought in a few years all of this would happen?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you on SITS...

    I've been a huge HP fan for about 8 years and let me tell you...this is just the beginning!!!
    Wait until you get through more of the books/movies. I will tell you this- while I love both, I try to keep them separate. The movies are very different from the books (espesh if you're a details freak like I am!)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete