Thursday, September 10, 2009

My love affair with Costco

I admit it. I have an obsession with Costco. I don't want to call it unhealthy because there is nothing unhealthy about Costco (other than the fact that you can buy gigantic bags of candy and other junk food in bulk) but I admit that it is kind of odd that a 29 year old single gal who doesn't have children, roommates, or dependents (other than Mollie, my dog) of any kind does a good portion of shopping there. I'm not really sure what the cause of my obsession is though I do like to buy things in bulk. I like knowing that I'm not going to run out of toilet paper or paper towels. Plus I have plenty of room to store stuff, so what does it matter! I don't even know if I save money buying in bulk verses the regular size at the grocery store. Never took the time to do a comparison!
I love how the Costco Triscuit box dwarfs the regular size of (generic) Triscuits!

I almost made Costco part of my list. The only things I thought of were to 1) spend and entire day at Costco and eat all my meals there from the sample stations, or 2) refrain from going to Costco for a month. I was afraid with #1, I would get really bored and have wasted a day or that they would throw me out of the store for loitering. Can't have that. And #2, well, that's just out of the question.
I would like to say however, that although it is a warehouse store, there ARE items you don't have to buy in bulk. A list of non-bulk items I have purchased at Costco:
  • Pink fuzzy bathrobe
  • Winter coat
  • Hibiscus tree
  • 47'' flatscreen tv
  • Roomba
  • Toaster
  • Kitchenaid mixer
  • Wine
  • Comforter
  • Mattress and box springs
  • Cuervo Gold margarita
  • Bathroom rug
  • Air mattress
  • Tires for my car
  • Lighted magnification mirror
Look at that selection! It is a one stop shop! Who else can say that they can sell you tires for your car, a mattress, and liquor! (Well, Walmart I guess...) I buy food there too of course though the fun of Costco is seeing what new things they have in the center area of the store. That is where they suck you in. I would say a third of the items on my list are impulse buys...
Ah, Costco my friend. What would I do without you! (probably save a lot of money!)
Just to prove that I am not a freak, here are a few others that have Costco obsessions:
http://costcoblog.wordpress.com
http://addictedtocostco.com
http://www.costcob.com
http://www.ilovecostco.com

11 comments:

  1. I also love Costco. There's nothing wrong with buying in bulk, even if you are a single gal. It's fun shopping there and the best samples are usually on Sundays. And let me tell you, I've seen many folks over the age of 70 make an entire meal out of those sample stations. So add it to your list if you want. It's YOUR list, after all! Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with buying in Bulk. I love the days we go to Sam's - it's just so much fun! Stopping by from SITS and wanted to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Popping over from SITS roll call to visit.

    We don't have a Costco anywhere near me, but we do have a Sam's. Thankfully it is on the other side of town and a bit of a road trip even on the interstate. Probably a good thing too, because I have no place to store bulk purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about "Running Out". I'm always afraid of running out and so I try to avoid it by keeping a list and as soon as a jar or something is half empty, I add it to my list so that I'm sure to buy it on my next trip to the store. So far it has worked very well for me.

    www.FunnyPhotosContest.com Submit CUTE or FUNNY photos and tell friends to vote for them. No entry fee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping over from SITs. Love the concept of the 30 before 30! I totally had a list of things to do before I die (I knew I'd need more than 30 years), but my progress has really slowed as of late... Good luck!

    www.mybabysweetness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Costco is pretty far away, so I shop at Sam's Club, but not very often. We don't have any room to store all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love costco too. I never shop there though because I always end up spending way to much money. LOL

    Visting from SiTS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from SITS!
    I also love Costco. They always have something that I want or feel that I "have to" have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. visiting from SITS new follower to you - i also love costco. you can never have too many goldfish. esp when your children dump half the box in the car!

    ReplyDelete