Friday, August 14, 2009

I like lists

It's true. I like to make lists. Obviously I have my 30 before 30 list but this definitely wasn't the first. I make little lists of things I would like to do over the weekend or chores around the house. Random stuff too. Stuff that doesn't need to go on a list but I put it there anyway. For example, here is part of a list I have from weekend before last (also I just add to lists until the piece of paper is full and then I throw it away so they are often kept for weeks at a time).


  1. Make bed

  2. Walk Mollie

  3. Shower

  4. Grocery List

  5. Grocery store

  6. Make marinade

  7. Pick up clothes

  8. Vacuum

  9. Dust

  10. Take out trash

And it goes on... I do realize now that I actually put on a list, to make another (grocery) list. Seriously, I don't think I need to put make my bed or shower on my list. I do those things every day. I guess it just gives me a sense of accomplishment to cross things off the list. I play this little game with myself that for each item I cross off, I add another but I try to accomplish 5 items in a row before adding more. You know, as not to overwhelm myself :)


You shouldn't be surprised that I also have a list app on my iPhone. It's for shopping and I can put the amount of each item in so as I check stuff off, I have a running tally of what is in the cart. It even adds tax. Pretty nice for the items I buy regularly because I know how much I will spend prior to going to the store. There is a website too where you can manage your lists or share them with others. List heaven.


So I see now that I might be sounding a little OCD. Really I am not. I'll get to the real point of the post (if there is one). Making my 30 before 30 list has actually spurred me to make even MORE lists. Crazy I know. These aren't to do lists or shopping lists though. They are little ones in my head as I reflect on the things I have done in my life and the things I would still like to do. For instance, I realized there are a lot of things I would like to do sometime in my life that aren't quite feasible for my 30 before 30 list. Or things I have accomplished that I am pretty darn proud of! Those are lists to blog about on another day though! My point is, this whole 30 before 30 thing is already evolving past just a list. It is making me think of life in general and how much I can take it for granted, not enjoy it to the fullest, or just plain not appreciate what I have! So often we make lists in our heads of what we want, what other's have and we don't, how we have been cheated in life, etc. We often look past our blessings because we are consumed with a list of things we don't have. I hope as I complete my list, God will continue to open my eyes and let me see all of the wonderful things I have already checked of my lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment